My love of frozen hot chocolates goes way back to my Midwestern childhood afternoons at Dairy Queen. For the first few years of my life, I was a chocolate cone dipped in chocolate kinda girl–an amazing treat I enjoy to this day. However, one afternoon my BFF Lauren told me all about these secret menu items DQ had, including a frozen hot chocolate…I thought I was the cat’s meow ordering an secret frozen hot chocolate. This wonderful concoction was the marriage of two of my favorite treats: ice cream and hot chocolate! As a bonus, I could have a hot chocolate any time of the year (my pre-teen self thought that was the ultimate decadence).
Fast forward a few years, and I’m living on East coast where most of my friends have never been to a Dairy Queen or even heard of a frozen hot chocolate! I had lost all hope for a fellow connoisseur until I meet my friend Katy in NYC. She and I quickly became friends; we were blonde, bubbly, and both loved dessert, so it was a match made in Dairy Queen heaven. She told me of this magical place uptown called Serendipity where over-the-top frozen hot chocolates reigned supreme. We had to go! (This is why Katy and I are friends, we go out for just dessert!)
So there we were, on East 60th street waiting for a table in a restaurant that looked like coney island and wonderland had a baby. It was cramped and I was anxious with anticipation, but we finally were seated at a quaint marble topped table and settled into white ice cream parlor chairs. Of course we skipped the savory course and went straight for dessert! Katy insisted that we each get our own frozen hot chocolate, and to this day she has never shared one with me. They are really too good to share, so I’m never offended! Well, maybe I’d give Cutie a taste, but just a taste…
A frozen hot chocolate is so decadent, and a easy dessert to whip up. However, I won’t judge you if you make one or two for an Sunday afternoon snack! You probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen this very moment…so go on, make yourself one. I’ve added Salted Caramel flavored syrup, but you can add your favorite syrup such as hazelnut.
Let’s get frozen!
Salted Caramel Frozen Hot Chocolate
Enjoy a decadent Frozen Hot Chocolate in your kitchen in just a few minutes!
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, in pieces or chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups ice
- 2 Tablespoons Salted Caramel Syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream for whipping
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Step 1 In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate until smooth. Add the sugar and hot chocolate mix, stir until incorporated.
- Step 2 Take off heat a stir in half of the milk, stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream and a pinch of sugar to make whipped topping.
- Step 4 In the blender, add the remainder of milk, ice, chocolate mixture, and salted caramel syrup. Blend on high until smooth and has the thickness of a frozen margarita!
- Step 5 Pour into fancy glassware and top with whipped cream, finishing with a dusting of cocoa powder and cute paper straws.
I love these treats so much! Katy and I spend a fun afternoon making and photographing them together. (But Katy we need a Serendipity date ASAP.) I highly recommend this for any girls night dessert. Also, putting on Serendipity the movie, with Kate Beckinsale and John Cusack, my take the frozen hot chocolate experience to heart fluttering levels! Enjoy!
These may have two straws, but that’s to help one get the deliciousness quicker. This is not a dessert to be shared!